Shandra Esparza discusses the Role of Residency in Athletic Training at the 2019 Trinity University Sports Medicine Workshop.
Are you adding depth?
What are residencies?
Same concept as a medical student… an opportunity to dig deeper and learn in a supervised environment.
Furthermore, residencies are a way to add depth to our skill set rather than just learning a little bit about more things.
Why do we need them?
To continue to keep ATs relevant we have to change with the population needs.
If we want to get out of the Athletics Model we must be willing to change our educational paths
Where will they lead us?
Into new practice settings
New skill sets
New Job Opportunities
Have you been through a residency?
Share your experience with everyone.
I would certainly appreciate you to reaching out to me
We invite you to be a guest on the Sports Medicine Broadcast so that we old timers can know and understand the role of residency in helping shape your career.
A little about Dr. Esparza
- Texas Lutheran University-Assistant Athletic Training/Instructor
- Southwestern University-Assistant Athletic Training/Assistant Professor
- Texas State University-Part-time Instructor
- Awards and Accomplishments
- Tenure at the University of the Incarnate Word
- $980,000 grant award with the U.S. Air Force
- Athletic Training Education Program Robert “Bobby” Patton Leadership & Guidance in Athletic Training Education Award, University of the Incarnate Word.
- Southwest Athletic Trainers Association, James Dodson “New Horizon Award” for outstanding service to the profession in the first five years of practice.
- Athletic Training Alumni of the Year Award, Texas State University at San Marcos
More about residencies
Want to learn even more, then Check out the podcast we did with Forrest Pecha on residency
Contact Shandra Esparza
These people LOVE ATs and help the SMB pay the bills:
Frio Hydration – Superior Hydration products.
MioTech – meeting all of your sports medicine supply needs
DragonflyMax – one stop EMR
HOIST – no matter your reason for dehydration DRINK HOIST
MedBridge Education – Use “TheSMB” to save some, be entered in a drawing for a second year free and support the podcast.