An emerging setting is the non traditional roles, athletics, an Athletic Trainer is employed in.
The Physician Practice Setting only makes up around 2% of Athletic Trainers currently.
- He played football and graduated from Louisiana College
- Worked in Alexandria, Louisianna for 2 years with an independent minor league team and as a physician extender
- Went back to Lousianna college to work as an AT
- Went back to school and got his masters at the University of Houston
- Worked as the Baseball AT after graduating
- Got hired by Memorial Hermann to work with the Sugarland Skeeters
What do you need to work in the PPS?
DME – Durable Medical Equipment – need to be able to communicate how and why to use these devices
Casting and splinting – both removal and application.
Communicating the goals and expected outcomes.
Physician Practice Value Model
- Manual for what ATs do in this role
What does max do in this emerging practice setting?
- Initial assessment / DDx
- Answer questions
- Confer with Doctor
- HEP vs PT
- RTP protocol
- Orthos referrals
- In-office procedures
Pros and Cons of Physicians Practice Setting
- Work closely with doctors
- Set schedule vs athletics
- Had freedom to pick “regular AT” per diem
- Wide variety of patients
- A lot of concussions
- Public’s lack of knowledge of an AT
- Difficult/ rude patients
- They are not there to see Max
- A lot of concussions
- A lot of the same stuff
- ICD vs CPT
- 97110 Therapeutic Exercise for 15 minutes
- Codes are not profession-specific
- Worth and Value
- Worth – the monetary cost of the service
- Value – is the perceived worth
- ATs can increase efficiency by performing the non-billable tasks and freeing up the Doc for the billable tasks.
- Pecha et al study
- Increase of $200-$1200 per day increase
- In Max’s clinic study over 6 months, this value would have been about $16,000
- Patient satisfaction survey
Sugarland Skeeters experience:
- He has been there since the inaugural season
- Mostly veteran players trying to get back to affiliated ball
Frio Hydration – Superior Hydration products.
Donate and get some swag (like Patreon but for the school)
HOIST – No matter your reason for dehydration DRINK HOIST
MedBridge Education – Use “TheSMB” to save some, be entered in a drawing for a second year free, and support the podcast.
Marc Pro – Use “THESMB” to recover better.