Ever experienced Opioid Abuse?
Dr. Obie Benavides lost a student-athlete to opioid abuse that was an inspiration to him.
One single pill that was not from a pharmacy but a “friend” was all it took to end his life in March of 2018.
Dr. Benavides has spoken at conferences and guest posted on The ATVantage and NATA blogs
What Opioid Abuse?
Opioids / Opiates are similar but not identical.
Opioids are synthetic chemicals whereas opiates are plant-based or naturally occurring from opium
Using them other than as prescribed is opioid abuse.
- Using them for longer than prescribed
- Giving them to someone else
- Hoarding them for later use
- Selling them
What does it LOOK like?
Obie says some of the signs and symptoms of opioid abuse might present as:
- Pupils being off
- Requestion medication by name and dosage
- Being absent
- Dry Mouth
- Low Tetosterone levels
What can we do as Athletic Trainers?
Patient Education is number one.
- Develop a Post-op Pain Management Plan
- There will be some level of pain
- Medications will help manage the pain
- Use pills as needed for this surgery
- Properly dispose of unused pills
- Do not share unused pills with anyone
- Start the dialogue with the athlete before the surgery
- Involve the parents
- Educate Parents
- Establish Real Pain Management Goals
- Monitor the athletes
- Attend surgeries when possible
- Log the procedure and medications prescribed
- Follow up within a week and document number of times meds have been used
Be willing to have uncomfortable conversations
ATsCare is a great resource for learning to have uncomfortable conversations.
Be willing to ask questions.
Watch the conversation live on Facebook
The Drug Enforcement Agency website (https://apps.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/pubdispsearch/)
Obie Benavides, DAT, LAT, ATC, AIB-VR/CON
Associate Athletic Trainer – Baseball
Drug Prevention & Education Coordinator
211 Red Bird Lane | PO Box 10066 | Beaumont, TX 77710
These people LOVE ATs and help the SMB pay the bills:
Frio Hydration – Superior Hydration products.
MioTech – meeting all of your sports medicine supply needs
PhysicalTherapy.com – use promo code “1FREECOURSE” to start for free
DragonflyMax – one-stop EMR
HOIST – no matter your reason for dehydration DRINK HOIST
MedBridge Education – Use “TheSMB” to save some, be entered in a drawing for a second-year free and support the podcast.