A pioneer, innovator and hard worker, Nancy Burke has never been afraid of challenging the norms.
Her induction into the NATA Hall of Fame symbolizes how much change one person can make.
Who is Nancy Burke?
- Career spanning 4 decades
- Certified in 1975
- Eastern Kentucky Graduate Assistant
- NATA Hall of Fame inductee
- Fairfax county Athletic Trainer for 28 years
- Started Public Safety Athletic Trainer Society
- 7 siblings with lots of nieces and nephews
What does retirement after 40 years of AT look like?
Nancy says she…
spent some time on her pontoon boat
but that led to…boredom
How does Nancy Burke continue to grow as an AT?
- Surround myself with forward thinking people. ATs who ask “What will Athletic Training look like in 10 years, 20 years?”
- Getting her NPI number and advocating all ATs to get theirs.
- AT Journals and publications
- Reading up on various State Practice Acts
- Building relationships with local ATs
- Attend state and national meetings
- Collaborate with both older and younger ATs
What are Nancy Burke's top moments in Athletic Training?
Receiving the phone call to be inducted into the NATA Hall of Fame.
Building lasting relationships with students / parents
Getting a phone call from Marjorie “Marje” Albohm requesting that Nancy be a speaker for the national meeting.
Discuss a low point in your career?
Working as the GA for Eastern Kentucky Nancy Burke was expected to be the next hire for the female At position.
She was not hired for that position
This made Nancy questions who she was, what she wanted to do and why she wanted to do it.
Ultimately after a few days in hiking in the Blue Ridge Mountains she figured out she wanted to make an impact at the high school level and with 4 months that is where she was working.
These people LOVE ATs and help the SMB pay the bills:
Frio Hydration – Superior Hydration products.
MioTech – meeting all of your sports medicine supply needs
PhysicalTherapy.com – use promo code “1FREECOURSE” to start for free
DragonflyMax – one-stop EMR
HOIST – no matter your reason for dehydration DRINK HOIST
MedBridge Education – Use “TheSMB” to save some, be entered in a drawing for a second-year free and support the podcast.