YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!!
Ever felt hopeless or alone?
Dr. Josh Yellen hopes his story of overdose during his cancer treatments helps just one person.
One person hearing a message of hope and remembering suicide is not the answer is worth the pain and vulnerability.
Time line of events
- 6/29/17– 7/4/17 – Saw Mom alive for the last time
- 7/8/17 – Grand Mal seizure (Tumor in brain) * never had seizure before or after*
- 7/11/17 – Craniotomoy to remove tumor
- 8/3/17 – Met with MD Anderson (Neuro-Oncology)
- 8/4/17 – 8/6/17 – Rebekah’s Bat Mitzvah
- 8/9/17 – Returned back for end of Summer semester
- 8/17/17 – Got fit for mask for Proton Therapy
- 8/21/17 – Started Fall semester
- 8/22/17 – United Heatlhcare denies Proton Therapy
- 8/25/17 – Hurricane Harvey
- 8/27/17 – Mom dies
- 8/28/17 – United Healthcare closes my case due to Hurricane and switch to BC/BS
- 8/31/17 – Fly back to CA for Mom’s funeral
- 9/1/17 – Switch from United Healthcare to BC/BS (University of Houston decision)
- 9/10/17 – Return back to work after Hurricane and Mom’s funeral
- 9/11/17 – Approved for Proton Therapy
- 9/18/17 – Start Proton Therapy
- 10/26/17 – Finish Proton Therapy
- 11/30/17 – Start Chemotherapy
- 12/14/17 – 12/18/17 – Moved offices
- 12/21/17 – Saw results of 1st round of chemotherapy (sympathetic reaction – stopped sleeping)
- 1/4/18 – Started round 2 of chemotherapy (much stronger than round 1)
- 1/18/18 – experience symptoms of depression and anxiety
- 5/15/18 – Finish round 6 of chemotherapy (terminate early)
What could I have done different?
More regular / scheduled contact
Phone calls instead of texts
What resources do you recommend pertaining to Overdose and suicide
ATsCare Program – Peer to peer grief counseling, support and encouragement
This is a phenomenal program that will re-shape all of your life interactions and help give you confidence to step into really tough situations.
Do YOU have a story to share and offer hope?
I hope your situation has not come to self harm.
I hope you have surrounded yourself with people who are willing to step in and lift you up.
Would you like to share your story?
Josh Yellen – text or call him 985-351-7994