- Why do we say that at 6 weeks every ACL should be able to do a partial squat and be at 90 degrees flexion?
- 6 months was only Adrian Peterson…he rehabbed 25 hours per week
- Navarro Bowman had Failure To Thrive and was 12 months +
- Normal rehabbers are about 9 months but often they athlete still sucks at this point and are not comfortable with their knee
- Let’s look at it similar to school…you pass the test you move on…you fail the test you get held back.
- 150,000-200,000 ACL surgeries per year.
- How are we doing a disservice to our patients using a time-based rehab program?
- NFL bases their timeline on RTP for week ONE readiness
What are the parameters for RTP?
Each phase should have criteria before advancing:
- Physician approval,
- Published research
- Biological healing
Tissue healing – know the biological clock and tissue remodeling for each surgery
- Graft type fixation
- Other ligaments involved
- Meniscal repair
- Micro fracture probability
- Published literature
- Validates rehabilitation protocol
- Widespread use by paraprofessional
- Looking at specific criteria for return to play