Don't be that preceptor who is just trying to get CEUs or the one who only uses MAT students as grunt labor.
Being a Mentor is a choice. A choice to give of yourself for the good of others. So is adoption. DJ tell me some of your adoption story.
Taylor has been such a fantastic part of our life. She is a part of my life as an Athletic Trainer and my life as a preceptor and mentor.
Worst preceptor story you have heard?
Worst mistake I made as a preceptor was right out of Grad School.
- My responsibility is to the team and athletes, not the students.
- I did not want to invest in the students
- I did not want to give up control
- I only allowed them to set up the field
- It is finally my time to be the Licensed Health Care Provider and make decisions
- It is about me now
Communicate the roles and expectations
Some other bad examples?
I am not getting any feedback
I am doing what they ask but I am not getting any feedback
How to avoid being average as a preceptor:
Do not complain about students on social media
What are some of the struggles for preceptors?
- Have an orientation
- What can the program cover before the kids get to you
- What do you need to cover
Look at this as a semester-long interview process.
For scheduling purposes
- We try to keep a really structured process
- Immersion should be a minimum 40 hours per week
- 85 hours /2 weeks
- 1 day off every 7
- And at least 8 hours between shifts
Shout out to my administrators and my co-worker for giving us the opportunity to be preceptors for U of H MAT.
JP: I felt like my hands were being held the whole time… I was either setting up the field or observing.
These people LOVE Athletic Trainers and help support the podcast:
Frio Hydration – Superior Hydration products.
Donate and get some swag (like Patreon but for the school)
HOIST – No matter your reason for dehydration DRINK HOIST
MedBridge Education – Use “TheSMB” to save some, be entered in a drawing for a second year free, and support the podcast.
Marc Pro – Use “THESMB” to recover better.