Director of Sports Performance at Howard University, Daniel Bellamy brings his skills, family, and his voice to Texas in his new role at UTSA.
Where did it start?
During my NFL internship, I learned to incorporate a lot of sports performance into rehab.
At the high school
Arena Football head AT
Track and field coach
I wanted to spend more time with my patients
So I took an assistant job at Howard University
At the university, I became very curious about the injury risk reduction side of AT.
- I took it upon myself to develop warmup routines
- I was able to implement recovery routines
Masters – injury prevention and performance management.
First task as the director of Sports Performance
Hiring a strength and conditioning coach that would work for an FBS coach
- The process was brutal but the outcome was something great
The best ability is availability – they need to be functional and healthy before they can work on performance
Data and research
Overlap and interdependence in Sports Performance
- Athlete Monitoring
- Injury Prevention
- Injury surveillance
- Nutrition initiatives
Each team member needs to understand the goal and how we can work together.
What is the benefit to each member?
Wellness surveys can help coordinate care as well.
Shared information and language in Sports Performance
- Continuing Ed
- Include all relevant team members in the process
- This gives us shared learning and coaching cues.
Progression / regression charts
- Highlights key movements
- How can we reintegrate the athlete optimally
- What are the most complex version of the movement and what is the most basic “entry fee” into that movement
Shared Projects and initiatives in Sports Performance
- Collaboration to integrate new technologies
- Kinesiology collects and analyses data to use for publications
BRING MART PEOPLE TOGETHER AND ALLOW THEM TO DO THEIR THING
- We are in the people business
- Trust is Key
- Ask questions without questioning
- Allow people to take the lead
Strength and conditioning’s goal should always be to ensure safety during the workouts.
Compliance comes from understanding and is the biggest key for the athletes completing the RPE and RTT surveys
Ted Sperlak, NSCA Talk on Sports Performance Model
Article to Read on Recovery Periodization: Mujika et al., (2018). An integrated multifactorial approach to periodization for optimal performance in individual and team sports.pdf
These people LOVE ATs and help the SMB pay the bills:
Frio Hydration – Superior Hydration products.
MioTech – meeting all of your sports medicine supply needs
PhysicalTherapy.com – use promo code “1FREECOURSE” to start for free
Donate and get some swag (like Patreon but for the school)
DragonflyMax – one-stop EMR
HOIST – no matter your reason for dehydration DRINK HOIST
MedBridge Education – Use “TheSMB” to save some, be entered in a drawing for a second-year free, and support the podcast.
Marc Pro – Use “THESMB” to recover better.